Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Week 2 at my new hospital.. and they put me.... drumroll please.. in CHARGE. :/

I'm not entirely sure what my manager's rationale is to hiring a bunch of new grads and RNs who have only ever worked as school nurses or never in a hospital at all. Well, I kind of understand because sometimes people with a lot of experience in a given field also have a lot of bad habits that go along with their experience, so I get why a manager would want to groom their staff to have the specific tasks performed in the way they prefer. But DAYUM a little bit of experience would be nice. :/

So anyway, as a result of my being the most experienced nurse on the floor (never mind the fact that I have no clue where to find half the supplies I need lol), I not only had a 5 patient assignment, I got to also be in charge. (ideally charge nurses should not have an assignment)  And hang a unit of blood, and all by myself take a patient with an evolving stroke to the first floor to have a CT of the head done because the hospital does not have a transport dept yet.  Deal with family drama (oh how I love when I have a patient with two RN granddaughters who complain about everyfucking thing).  Seriously, if you are going to be there for your family member, that's great! But that doesn't mean you have to be a dick to me!

At least the doc that was there was one of the cooler ones.  He saw me wandering around the hall with a handful of blood tubing from the PRBCs I just hung (I couldn't find the biohazard bin to throw it away in) and while he stopped me in the hall to ask me something my phone rang, part of the tubing fell, a bag of saline swinging from my hands I said "Well.. THAT would have sucked.." He was like "um.. do you need some help there..?" but I could tell he didn't want to touch the tubing because it was full of blood and he didn't have gloves on, then I dropped the phone.. lol I looked up and him and I said, "Really, I'm not usually *this* bad.. it's my second day and they put me in charge.  I'm just happy I haven't fallen down a stairwell or rolled a patient out of bed and onto the floor."(he laughed)  ...a little while later I came to find out the Dr. I said that to is the Chief of Staff for the whole hospital. How much you want to bet years down the road, that conversation will stick out in his head when I am up for a promotion and someone asks him what he thinks of me.  Just Great. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment