Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sing it, girlfriend

One emotionally draining thing about my new job is I see a lot more cancer patients. They really go through hell and it's so hard to watch it all unfold. I'm in awe of what they are capable of enduring and generally they come back with, "Well, you put up with it because you HAVE to.."

I had a wonderful woman over the weekend with stage 4 colon cancer. She doesn't have more than a year left I'd say.. maybe less. She is SO sweet, patient.. was having issues urinating because the cancer is obstructing her urine, so they placed a nephrostomy tube. She was worried because she wasn't sure how she was going to care for her nephrostomy tube at home.  A consult was placed to case management.  As it turns out, since she doesn't have any insurance, she doesn't qualify for visiting nurses to go to her house.

WTF, really?  I am so tempted to go see her on my own time at her home, but I'm afraid I could get into trouble.  Have to do some research into that.

Anyway.. people like the one in this video are why I an in awe of cancer patients.

http://front.moveon.org/the-most-heroic-response-to-the-susan-b-komen-foundation-you-will-ever-see/#.Ty1fcl7fOVo.facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment