Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Floated to ICCU (intermediate critical care unit) over the weekend

Walked in to work yesterday and was given the news that I am being floated to ICCU. I have floated there before and the patient ratios are different on that floor (1 nurse to 4 pts vs 1 nurse to 6 pts on my usual floor).  And let me tell you, the level of patient acuity on my floor is just as intense if not WORSE than the ICCU patient load.  So I was SO HAPPY when they told me I was going there. Yay! :)

Had 4 pts. (one of whom was getting discharged). Two of them had gangrene/necrotic toes. One gangrene dude was on an insulin drip (Q2 hour sugar checks). One lady was 95 and on a protonix drip with a GI  Bleed with a dropping hemoglobin of 7.9 (needed to be transfused with 1 unit of PRBCs), discharge lady was a new onset CHF but now medically stable, so I had to d/c her foley, her PICC line, call report to the nursing home, reconcile her d/c med list, confirm orders with Dr. and help ambulance drivers on arrival.  


It was a great experience because I was not in my "home" environment and yet I did just fine managing all that, and actually kind of enjoyed it. I'm not nearly as scared to go to my new hospital. I think I am finally  ready!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment