Gargoyle Lady has finally reached legend status within my hospital.
After my exceptionally mean post about her, she was admitted back to my hospital on 5 additional, separate occasions. She's only in her 60s and now has used up her LIFETIME allotment of Medicare money.
She assaulted a nurse for following hospital policy by documenting her home meds (which included narcotics) and trying to send them to the pharmacy to be locked up. (per protocol)
Then things went downhill.
She was discharged to a LTC and she assaulted a caregiver THERE then claimed she was having chest pain. She asked to be sent to our hospital but her family member told he it's pretty clear that hospital doesn't want you there (basically because we had to get the police involved when she harmed one of our staff). She was heard on numerous occasions berating said family member and calling them.. um depracating names because of sexual preference and yet this family member turned around and made negative comments on a social networking site about my hospital.
Now, this patient is known to possess the power of "Beetlejuice" in that no one dares even whisper her name. She's basically referred to as "she who shall not be named". Thanks to recent events, word is, she will NOT be back. Although I find that too good to be true. Anyway I thought I would mention it because I know how mean my Gargoyle post sounded, so I thought I would present further evidence that would prove that it is not just me who is tired of dealing with her.
On a more positive note, I had a quite lovely elderly female patient over the weekend. In conversation she mentioned she went to Penn State. I asked her what she majored in and she said "Home Economics". I was very interested in this because I had never heard of Home Economics as a major course of study before. Quite honestly, I think the world might be a little better place if it were something that at least a small amount of class time is dedicated to. (especially for MALE students ;) ) Then I asked her if she taught high school home ec. with that degree.. shockingly, she said no. Turns out, she was hired by the local power company to teach women how to cook using electric...?? (that got me wondering exactly how old this lady is! haha!) She went on to explain back then houses primarily used gas for cooking. (I had no idea about this). According to her, in the 1930s electricity wasn't widely available to the general population (really?) so they used coal, wood or gas in the cities for cooking. In the 1940s and 1950s she taught home makers how to cook a 5 course meal using only electric. She said she and another woman traveled to various houses of women who purchased electric stoves as a routine service provided by the electric company. This also explains a HUGE bias against the use of gas cooking that my Dad had when he came to visit me in my first apartment. (my grandparents were in their 30s when they had him in 1945, so that would put them right in that age bracket of people who used gas or coal "back in the day" for cooking.. and electricity was considered the "rich folk" option.) Which then reminded me of the bias among the old against breastfeeding. I recall my husband's Grandmother's look of disgust when she learned I was nursing my first born (then later my second) and her saying "that's what poor people do". Very interesting how society can color your perceptions; at times doing you a disservice.
Then I had an old guy pt. who kept yelling and yelling and yelling because he didn't want to be alone. He was driving me frickin CRAZY. I had a ton of stuff to do and he kept yelling , "HHHEEEELLLP MEEEE!! Then would go in and he's all "hi." and winking and smiling and trying to touch me. Did I also mention he was extremely hard of hearing? So while I was in with him, I was talking to him loudly. He kept saying "WHAT?" and then answering questions I wasn't even asking him. Then he says, "STOP HOLLERING WHEN YOU TALK TO ME!" So I say (still loudly, but not screaming), "Okay." and he said, "WHAAAAAATTT?! I CAN'T HEAR A DAMN WORD YOU ARE SAYING!" Seriously dude?? LOL
It's a wonder I don't do shots of the hand sanitizer on tap outside every room.
Ha, i didn't think your Gargoyle lady post sounded mean-spirited. She sounded awful. Anything not-so-flattering about her is totally justified.
ReplyDeleteIt's bizarre how conventions change isn't it? Collectively it seems, we'll never get it all right.
Gargoyle Lady sounds like the inbred wife of Satan. She obvioulsy has her family cowed and that is a shame.
ReplyDeleteI think that the lady that taught how to cook with electric's job sounded like a gas! Pun totally intended. ;-)