A lot of things have been going on as of late. The hospital census has gone through the roof and the average length of stay for each patient is about 1.5 days. Which means I am constantly doing discharges, getting admissions, and basically chasing my tail at work. Still enjoying my job and my coworkers, but I have found that when I am home I really need to try not to think about work so much. (as my abused patient entry can attest)
On a personal note, something else has been happening. One of my best friends is currently battling Acute Myeloid Leukemia.She was my first friend growing up and we attended school k-12 together. We were in each other's weddings. We were pregnant together. Our children played together. She had some flu like symptoms a month ago and they found the leukemia. She went on to lose her eyesight, develop brain lesions, a fungal infection, becoming septic, then go on a vent. (which she is off of thank God). She's geographically very far away from me right now and it's really REALLY hard for me to wrap my brain around what's happening with her. This is NOT how it's supposed to be. She's such a beautiful, amazingly talented, incredibly compassionate person. We are not even 40! This is not how it's supposed to be.
I don't have very many readers but can I just ask you to please consider getting registered on the bone marrow registry? http://marrow.org/Home.aspx All you have to do is answer some health questions and they will mail you a cheek swab kit with a SASE in a few weeks after submitting the swab, you will get a registry card.
Thanks for reading. ♥
Code Babe~ I am so sorry for your friend...such a horrible disease progression...and your right~ this is not suppose to happen to someone her age. I also have a friend (my long time best friend's husband) who was just diagnosed with stage 4 esophogeal cancer...the cancer spread to his liver and lymph nodes. His chemo is to begin Tuesday. They live in Florida and Im in Maine~ it makes me feel so helpless and I want to be more of a help...I understand your pain in this area. I will pray for your friend and for you.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Bobbi. Your prayers and understanding are greatly appreciated. I will be praying for your friend's husband, your friend, and you, as well.♥
ReplyDeleteThanks for bringing the online registry to my attention. One of my best friends died from Leukemia when we were nine. I'm not on the registry yet, but i reckon it's about time.
ReplyDeleteCancer is a beastly Mephistopheles. I'm so sorry about your friend. Positive thoughts and prayers for everyone involved.
Thanks, Ajax. She was doing well, the last I heard so fingers are crossed for her that the treatments work for her. I am so sorry to hear about your friend.:(
ReplyDelete