Thursday, September 1, 2011

Here's your sign

So, I don't often link to other blogs on my blog (not sure why not, maybe I should more often) but this blog jumped out at me.

Some background as to why.. when they added the stroke component to our floor, we started seeing a lot of patients post brain surgery due to intracranial hemorrhages, masses, etc etc. post surgical brain surgery patients were a brand new thing to me and it's always so hard on everyone from the patient to the family to the nursing staff. The family tells you tidbits about what patients were like before the brain injury and it's SO IMPORTANT for healthcare professionals to pay attention to what the family tells you about the patient. It helps you talk to and communicate with the patient's personality (or at least former personality) and give them some sort of identity outside being "that patient with the staples across his/her head". Always treat the person first, the disease second- especially in the case of a brain injury because the soul and spirit  must heal in addition to the body. You can't possibly treat one properly without the other. (I will tell you a story about one of my former brain injury pts. in particular when I have more time).

And now, finally... here's your sign:
http://bravegirlsclub.com/archives/2151

No comments:

Post a Comment