PITA #1 was a dude with Hep C and a bleeding disorder and he constantly had fresh, bright red blood in his mouth coming out of his gums. Plus his liver was shot so his ammonia levels were sky high and affecting his cognition and sense of balance. His gown was covered in blood, his room was a sty, he was forever pissing all over the floor and if I sound a little harsh talking about him it might be because the motherfucker HIT me in the arm when I gave him a shot of insulin in addition to calling ME a pain in the ass and looking at me with absolute venom every time I entered the room. Then he proceeded to call me a bitch every chance he had. At one point I walked into his room to give him some scheduled meds and he started saying "OH GOD, what do you want NOW!? Jesus!"
A good patient I had was a 98 year old lady whose grandson was visiting and noticed her speech was getting slurred and she wasn't walking straight. He called 911 and the ambulance came right away. Upon arrival to my hospital, she was administered the clot busting medication TPA. Within a few hours, all her stroke symptoms resolved. She was coherent, bright eyed and quite spunky when I got her. I met her Grandson and thanked him for acting so quickly- he saved his Grandmother from an end in life that I see all too often. She was really cute, too. She said the state sent her a driver's license when she was 96 but she decided not to drive anymore.. not because she thought she couldn't, but because she said, "God forbid if someone ever hit me, the first thing everyone would say would be 'what was a 96 year old doing driving?!' and then I'd end up getting blamed for it. So it was my choice to stop driving." This little lady had more brains and sense than most 40 somethings I care for. Anyway, what I learned from her was firsthand how important it is to be able to catch a stroke in its early stages-- it's truly a medical MIRACLE what tpa can do. I think we've all heard how critical timing is with catching and treating strokes.. but until you see it firsthand?? Just wow. Amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment